You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Friday 28 March 2008

Send in the Clowns

I found my clown on Tuesday. Or one of them. And guess what?

She's reeeeeally emotional.

Does this surprise anyone? Probably not. I must admit that I suspected that she'd turn out to be a crier, but in a way I hoped she wouldn't be. I mean, my goodness, this is a part of my personality which is regularly on display, particularly in school, and isn't your clown supposed to be surprising? But then I was talking to Rebecca about it, and she was saying that in a way it was appropriate - another way of looking at clown is that it's taking a serious aspect of your personality and finding a way to laugh at it. And laugh at it we did.

It was really fun, actually. I'm not even sure why I started bawling, but once I did, I got really mad at myself for crying, and people started laughing, and then I started laughing, and then I started crying again. We decided that she doesn't have an "off" switch. She is constantly laughing or crying. There is no in-between.

It takes a lot of energy, though. A lot of energy. And am I going to be able to consistently access that state of extreme emotionality? I don't know. I'm a little intimidated. We'll see if I can pull off repeat performances...

1 comment:

Janna said...

I hope to NEVER find a clown on my insides. ever.

soooo creeeepy.

i'm starting nursing school tomarrow! I have a fancy lab coat with my name on it, and a stethoscope, and a gigantic loan from the bank that I can't afford and everything!