You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Friday 27 June 2008

Art in the world

A friend of mine on his blog linked to an AP article somewhat amusingly titled “Everything Seemingly Spinning out of Control.” I read a few paragraphs, choosing to view it through a distinctly ironic lends, and was amused. Then I read an email from my friend Erin detailing the script for her final project, which deals with dying with dignity and HIV/AIDS and was moved. Then I read the first paragraph of this review of Wall-E, and got a little choked up.

Have I mentioned that I believe art can save the world?

In the darkness of these days, both real and perceived, there is so much space opened for inspiration and light. Art is never more powerful than when it has something to say, and there is so much to be said in this moment, in this world, about both the beauty and the horror of what we have wrought as a (human) race. And I’m so awed at the prospect of jumping in and saying my piece.

No comments: