You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Friday 16 May 2008

The emotional rollercoaster of work-websurfing

Happy!
My co-worker was being all snarky about how behind the times we Americans are until I pointed out that, though England allows civil unions, they still won't call it marriage. (It's amazing how self-righteous I've gotten about being American since living abroad.) GO CALIFORNIA!!!

Sad and angry.
Now, I myself am an Obama supporter. But that doesn't mean that this article doesn't make me feel outraged, and sick inside... sorry, that's inaccurate. It's not the article that makes me angry. It's the disgusting, disgusting realities behind it. An anti-Hillary organisation called C.U.N.T? Being called a whore and mocked with novelty items for betraying gender stereotypes? Words don't quite do justice to my speechlessness. I've remembered I'm a feminist, and I'm ready to bust some heads. (But I'm still voting for Obama.)

Happy!
Sometimes, a little shared grammar dorkery helps me feel a little better.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

That Washington Post article is amazing, and crushing. A few days ago I found myself floundering when trying to explain to a friend that women were still hugely oppressed by the world, and even by our world here in the USA. Looks like I wasn't wrong.

Grr. But luckily I looked at Gemma's blog and a picture of a kitteh made me feel better.

Gemma said...

Hi Lindsay! I know-- what is with people being like "Feminism is over"? Also, does the fact that I recover from reading the news by looking at kittens help or hurt feminism?

Things to think about.