You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Friday 27 March 2009

No pain no gain

I have bruises the size of small island nations on the backs of my knees.  Such is the price one pays for aerial classes (that and a hundred odd bucks).  It's nice to have a scheduled activity like this twice a week, especially since it's a skill I want to learn, but I'm early enough in the process now that it's still Really Frustrating.  I feel clumsy and awkward and weak on the trapeze in particular, and when your forearms are aching after the first five minutes of an hour-long class, making it near-impossible to hold yourself up on the ropes, it's a little discouraging to say the least.

So now my challenge is to channel that frustration into determination, and start doing conditioning on my own time.  Hanging from monkey bars at the playground, press-ups and V-sits at home, working one of those little squeezy-grippy things you can get at Target... these will make up the humble beginnings of my regimen.  And if I don't start seeing some results in the next couple of weeks... well, I guess I'll just keep working.

No comments: