You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Thursday 24 July 2008

The Travel Bug Strikes Again

My visa expires at the end of Sept, and so I'm looking into plane tickets. Not home (though I need to book those sooner rather than later), because I'm not planning on coming back to the States much earlier than mid-November, though as always everything is subject to change. No, I'd like to spend some time in Europe, either with friends in their home towns (Ana Mirtha in Madrid, Maria in San Sebastian [Basque Country], Cecile in France, Diogo in Porto, Katia in Malta), or just in places that I want to go to that I'm closer to now than I will be in the States. Digging around on Ryanair and Easyjet (but mostly Ryanair), here's what I've found:

I can fly round trip to Marrakesh, Morocco for just over £100.
I can fly to Malta for £85.
I can go to Portugal for £50.
Madrid is about the same.
Croatia is £35.

I have to admit that the Morocco fare, though by far the most expensive, is REALLY REALLY tempting. I would fly out on the 28th Sept, which is the day my lease expires and 2 days before my visa's up, stay just shy of a week, and be back in time for my birthday in London. And then go to Portugal or Spain or France. Or all three. Eurail! Eurail! Eurail!

Uh-oh.

No comments: