You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Friday 29 August 2008

Happy/Sad

Things that made me happy this week (in more or less chronological order):
  • Being invited along to a birthday dinner with strangers in Brussels and getting new friends, free champagne (and wine and whiskey and beer), and late-night dancing out of the deal
  • Big amazing Sunday brunch at Katie's flat in Brussels
  • Cuddling with Baerbel after getting back from Brussels
  • Bank Holiday!
  • Being told I'm not an asshole, that people are proud of me
  • Pints of Hoegaarden, shots of Jack Daniels
  • A houseful of lovely, loved people over for dinner, staying for drinks, not a one of whom went home
  • Coffee. Coffee. Coffee.
  • Bowling!
  • Breaking 100 on my first game (ahem114ahem)
  • Air Hockey!
  • Introducing Baerbel to the wonders of air hockey
  • Shaking one's booty to trashy hip hop
  • New dresses from Amsterdam and generally looking hot
  • Cycling through central London with Heather
  • Unexpected phone calls from Simon that make me beam
  • When goodbyes don't feel like goodbyes
  • Beers by the fountain at Tottenham Ct Rd, two inches from traffic at 9pm on a Thursday
  • Salsa dancing
  • Early morning text messages telling me I'm missed
  • Plans for poetry night (tonight!)

Things that made me sad this week

  • That people get their hearts broken, and that relationships fall apart. Even the ones that seem unshakeable. Even the ones that have had so much work put into them, and so many commitments made.
  • Rebecca and Jed leaving. Not knowing when I'll see them again (though I know I will)
  • More and more, realising LISPA is over, people are leaving, people have left
  • Not being able to justify the purchases of new shoes, new dresses, new wardrobe

So really, all in all, not a bad week.

No comments: