You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Wednesday 27 August 2008

Non-negotiable

Right. I am setting myself a non-negotiable bedtime of 11pm at the LATEST tonight. It's three thirty in the afternoon, I've had three largish coffees, I'm jittery, and I'm yawning. Clearly nothing but some good old fashioned sleep will do.

The exhaustion comes as a result of fun, of course. Bowling and air hockey last night as a send-off to Rebecca and Jed, and people over for dinner and drinks at our house the night before. It is terrifying, though, how quickly a well-rested look, accrued over the course of a week of vacation, dissipates. Tonight is the night for sleep.

Especially since tomorrow night is the night for salsa. Also known as non-negotiable fun.

(PS There will be an entry about Amsterdam and Brussels, promise.)

No comments: