You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Thursday 30 August 2007

Here's to the artists

Just poking around online (because what else does one do at work, really?), and wanted to share that I am inspired and awed by how many really, really, really talented people I know or am connected to, either directly or indirectly. There's such a wealth of (dare I say it?) art and heart, tremendous arty hearters in my immediate communal proximity that it's staggering, and exciting, and joyous. And think of all the potential collaborations! I think I could be very happy being a foil for other people's talents and visions for the rest of my life. At least until I figure out what my vision is.

One of the things about LISPA, and I may have mentioned it before, is that it asks the question (among others), "What kind of theatre do you want to create?" Another pertinent one is "What do you want to say through your art?" My answers to these are a stuttering "...g-uhhh..." in the first case, and something slightly more articulate but similarly vague in the second. Basically, I don't know yet. I have a sense of something, but it doesn't have a shape. I have No Idea when or how that shape will form - hopefully the second year will help somewhat. But I've decided that it's ok. And the most recent answer I have for people who ask me what I'm going to do after I graduate is this:

I don't know.
But I'd love to spend a year or more bouncing from project to project headed by my friends, helping them to realise their visions until I realise mine.
(And if this necessitates living all over the world, well then, who am I to say nay?)

1 comment:

+ avye + said...

you know, i am finding that the more projects i do, whether i think i will love them or not, the more ideas i get. and the more ideas i get, the more i start to understand what kind of art i want to make.
so yeah. i agree.
saying yes is good for the artistic soul...