You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Monday 6 August 2007

Monday morning never looked so good

I biked to work this morning for the first time (despite the rain!) and sashayed into the office like a conquering hero, oh so pleased with myself. It was faster than the bus! It was faster than the tube! It was exercise! It was fun! I really wish I could bike in every day, but until I get paid on the 15th I can't afford a helmet; and without a helmet, I refuse to bike. Carrie very generously lent me hers this morning, but she'll need it herself for the rest of the week. Sigh. But! I spent much of the morning plotting bike routes on JourneyPlanner for the rest of the summer and next year, so this but the beginning...

We'll see if my enthusiasm is maintained on the way home. Did I mention that it's mostly downhill from home to work? Work to home may be slightly less invigorating, slightly more grueling...

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

It will still be awesome. It's the best way to get around! Good for you! Welcome to the world of cyclists!!

Hojo Mantooth said...

when all is said and done and cost, weight, simplicity, utility and efficiency are taken into account, bicycles are the most amazing tool human beings have ever created.

Hojo Mantooth said...

you know... if youre into that kind of thing.