You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Friday 8 February 2008

Nothin' but blue skies from now on...

It's a beautiful day. The cycle ride in this morning was lovely, and I'm feeling optimistic. Class the past couple of days have been great - working on songs with Simon in Voice, Viewpoints and Chorus work with Michael, Flocking in Butoh, and a very encouraging and exciting Creation last night - and this afternoon looks like it should be more of the same.

I'm absolutely loving this Chorus work, what little we've done of it. There's something so pleasurable in being a part of a group that moves as one while remaining many. It helps me to listen, and encourages me to find a level of unity and calm that eludes me more often when I'm alone onstage, or have to be a separate entity. But at the same time, I'm enjoying having the opportunity to move the chorus when I *am* a separate entity, when I am the speaker or the protagonist who faces the crowd. It's all very exciting, dynamic work. And it's joyful to feel that unity and connection in the group after these past weeks of Grotesque, which brought out the grotesque in all of us.

It's good to be back.

No comments: