You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Wednesday 20 February 2008

Sunday Sunday, so good to me

Today is the most incredible day. It's beautiful spring-sunny, and I'm meandering around one of my favorite neighborhoods in East London, doing some new-favourite and some old-favourite things. For example: salted beef bagel sandwich on Brick Lane (brand-spankin-new favourite); coffee at 157 Brick Lane (newish favourite); overpriced cupcake on Columbia Street (new favourite); walking up and down and buying flowers at Columbia Flower Market (my favourite thing for months now). Everything is making me smile and also want to weep a little. (This is probably because I'm also super tired due to a late birthday party last night.) It's just one of those so-beautiful-it's-a-little-melancholy days.

I also walked past the Rich Mix Cinema and saw that they're BROADCASTING THE OSCARS LIVE tonight FOR FREE from 10pm to 5am. "Dress to impress." I cannot tell you how tempted I am. Will I willfully ignore the fact that I have a particularly long day tomorrow to indulge my Oscar obsession? We shall see...

We're fast approaching the end of term now, which is my lame-o, completely invalid excuse for not writing much of late. The past ten days since my last entry have seen a 5 hour Valentine's Day lunch with Erin, Isabel landing her front handspring (!!!!!!!!!!!!), further consolidation of Paris plans (trip scheduled from 13th-16th March), and some really great creation work in school. I'm performing in two pieces for our end-of-term presentation on Thursday (one tragic chorus and one grotesque piece), both of which I'm really happy with and excited to show. There's also a possibility I'll be performing my song.

Your song? What song?

As part of Voice class this term, everyone has written a song. They came out of exercises where we'd explore vocal qualities of different environments or emotions, then freewrite, and then try to find melodies for the words through our natural vocal cadence. This past Wednesday, everyone performed what they'd come up with, and it was the most lovely, joyful thing to see and hear these very personal pieces of people set to music. Mine still needs a lot of work (it's currently at least two songs in one), but I love it to pieces, and I find myself singing it all the time, especially when I'm cycling. (Interestingly enough, it's when I'm on my bike that I find I have the most eureka moments in terms of songcrafting [with this piece, anyway].) So there's the possibility I'll be performing that on Thursday, too. We'll see.

For the moment, though, I'll just enjoy this moment, this day, and prepare for the insanity and the joyful chaos of the last week of term.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I have considered trying to rig up some kind of recorder to wear while I am biking, because it does seem to be a source of creative inspiration. It's like a chance to let your ideas come out.

I want to hear your song.

Songs I've written while/about biking/moving: 4