You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Wednesday 6 February 2008

Now is the (warmish) winter of our (mild) discontent

I feel so listless these days, so vaguely frustrated and slightly ill at ease. I feel like complaining all the time, though I have no cause for complaint. I feel stuck, and unengaged, and boring, and bored. And I don't know why, and it's Driving. Me. Nuts.

Bleagh.

Maybe it's because Grotesque has been so difficult these past weeks. Maybe it's the midterm slump. Maybe it's because I've been working in the same small creation group for a month now (and though it's consistently been a wonderful group to work work with, that's a long time to spend working so closely with so few people), and our most recent presentation felt like a letdown to me - like we'd worked so hard for so long and thought we'd gotten somewhere but actually were still stuck with the same notes, the same obstacles, in the same rut. Maybe it's just the nature of the work - Grotesque is dark and pulls downwards, and Tragedy is dark and pulls downwards, and those are the two territories we're exploring this term. Maybe it's leftover angst from recent school politics. Maybe I'm premenstrual. Maybe I just have the blahs.

Blah, blah, blah.

In which case, no one can combat this ickiness other than me. Let's try with a handy-dandy list, entitled Things That Have Not Been Blah. Ready? Let's go.

Things That Have Not Been Blah
  • Enchanted (with Cecile)
  • The Mutt(on)/Lamb Rap with Erin
  • Erin, upon learning that I'd also written several songs with Carrie, dubbing me the Timbaland of LISPA (AWESOME!)
  • Mexican Night at our house (featuring homemade fajitas by Jed and Karim, guac and chips, Coronas with lime, tequila shots, and Desperado)
  • No Country for Old Men
  • The engrossing ongoing drama that is the Democratic delegate race
  • My bangs
  • My new, dark brown, knee-high, leather, pirate-superhero boots from Clark's that I got for £25!!!! (70% off! Yow!)
  • Working on the Chorus in class yesterday - from Horse Racing Crowds to Watching the Titanic Sink
  • Moving into a new theatrical territory in general - it was time to be done with Grotesque
  • Little parcels of musical love in the post (THANK YOU, LIV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Ah. I feel a little better now. Fingers crossed ... I hope it sticks.

2 comments:

Janna said...

in the decidedly NOT blah camp:

possible European adventure for August in the works. you plus me plus some eurorail.

check in for more details.

Unknown said...

Yay! So glad you got it! Thought it would be a nice little surprise. :)