You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Wednesday 2 April 2008

Blast from the past

Once upon a time, when I was about eight or nine, there was a boy in my class that I couldn't stand. I don't remember too much about him, to be honest, except for the dorky sweaters he wore (but come on - in the early nineties, who didn't?) and that... well, yeah, that I couldn't stand him. Something about coming across as really awkward but arrogant at the same time. Or maybe he was just one of those kids who wasn't considered cool but refused to realise it and was irritating by virtue of his sheer persistence and audacity. His name was Juris, and my best friend and I, keeping with the cruelty of young children the world over, dubbed him "Jerkis".

Somewhere along the line, despite all my efforts to the contrary, he decided he liked me, and would leave gifts on my desk - a rose quartz sphere, and a broken "gold" wristwatch with a digital face. This drove me nuts, and made me really, really uncomfortable. I even ended up calling a summit with our homeroom teacher to be sure that the unwanted attention didn't continue. It worked.

The other night, for some reason, he occurred to me and I was telling Baerbel about that incident. Then today, on Facebook, purely through links of friends of friends, I found something that totally cracked me up.

How times have changed.

2 comments:

Hojo Mantooth said...

Sweet sassy molassy!

I don't think there is much I can say about that. The abs and cheekbones speak for themselves.

Janna said...

hahaaaaaaaa!

i would SO tell my homeroom teacher to make that stop. i had a hard time telling my browser to make it stop...