You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Wednesday 12 December 2007

Backfire

We performed our piece for the teachers yesterday. Turns out that, in spite of our best intentions and completely without realising it, we've come up with something that's highly political. Not (as far as I'm concerned) in a good way. The word "glorifying" was used, and when you're dealing with the subject matter of Palestinian suicide bombers, that's the last word you want to hear. It was really disheartening, and I was even more upset upon further discussion amongst our group where it seemed to me that I was (and am) the only one who feels this way. I mean, everyone agrees we have to change the ending so it doesn't look as though we're glorifying suicide bombers, but the alternative endings that have been proposed at this point as far as I'm concerned don't at all solve the problem, they just make it more subtle and not as in-your-face. It's important to me that we show why she makes the choice she does, but it's even more important to me that we don't hold it up as an example of the only option. And it's important to me that we acknowledge the aftermath as well - that her choice results in the death of other human beings, that her daughter is orphaned...

There is no easy answer to this situation. That's why it's been going on for decades upon decades with no end in sight. I don't want to give an answer, and I certainly don't want to be a part of a piece that ends up looking like propaganda. That's the furthest thing from what I want.

No comments: