You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Tuesday 4 December 2007

Wake-up call

Aren't friends a pain in the butt? You know the ones I mean... the ones who lure you to their home with tea and intricately decorated Christmas cookies, who give you a shoulder to cry on and tell you what you need to hear. Not what you want to hear necessarily, but what you need to hear. Isabel, you cannot do this to yourself. Isabel, you can't keep this up. Isabel, I've seen you in tears more this term than I did the whole of last year. Isabel, you're exhausted and unhappy. Isabel, something's gotta give.

And she's right. And something does. And I'm hoping that this support and sit-down session will give me the kick in the pants necessary to at least talk to the administration of the school and, if nothing else, let them know where I'm at, which is close to collapse.

No comments: