You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Friday 7 December 2007

Continuing improvement

It's nearly official: as of January, I'll hopefully be taking a cut in hours in Kensington, and only working three days a week there. That means that instead of the 14-hour-days-six-days-a-week-and-one-day-off I've been doing for the past two months, I'll be having 14-hour-days-three-or-four-days-a-week, two half-days, and one day off. Huzzah! Now that's what I call manageable.

School is feeling more manageable as well, largely because we have practically no classes for the remainder of the term - only hours and hours of rehearsal/creation time. Our piece on Palestine is shaping up really nicely, I think: we're struggling a lot, and there's still a lot of investigation in terms of structure and dramatic build, and even plot, but we're definitely struggling together, and there's a lot of support for each other within this group. I'm really proud of us, and the work we're doing, and how much everyone is putting into the piece. It's been a really good experience (touch wood.) We'll have another twelve hours of rehearsal before we perform for the teachers again on Tuesday, and then another twelve hours before our final in-house presentation for the Initiation Course and the rest of the Advanced Group on Thursday night. I'm really looking forward to next week - seeing everyone else's completed pieces, and performing for the Initiation Course. I can't wait to share with them: I remember last year watching the melodrama/epic piece presentation of the second years, and how powerful it was to see their work. How inspiring it was. I'm hoping the pieces we're creating will have a similar effect on the first years this time around.

But before the performance, there's still much rehearsal to be had - much delving, and creating, and rearranging, and twisting, and polishing, and molding. And as excited as I am to see what we emerge with, I'm really really enjoying the journey.

1 comment:

Da Vinci said...

good luck hun, make sure you wrap a scarf around your neck to keep you vocal cords warm when you go outside. If you get a chance please stop by my blog and leave feedback. Enjoy

http://davincisbloglog.blogspot.com/