You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Monday 12 November 2007

The stars know me well...

So this morning on the tube I'm reading my free paper, like you do, and of course end up on the comics/games/horoscope page at the back. And I read my horoscope, just for the hell of it:

LIBRA: Good financial news helps you greet the week with a smile. Resist going shopping, though. It's hardly fair for you to spend all your good fortune before your piggy bank even gets a whiff of it.

"Hah," I thought. "How could I possibly get good financial news today? I get paid on Thursday, it's true, but I know how much that's going to be, and while it's nice, it's nothing unexpected."

When I got to work, there was an announcement on the intranet that our payslips were available for early viewing. I checked it out... and found that it was £200 more than usual. I even called payroll to make sure there hadn't been a mistake... there hadn't. (It was some backpay thingamajiggy - it's only a one-time deal, but still!)

Oh man, do I love the stars today. But it is a bit of a struggle to remind myself that this money needs to go towards my towering tuition bill, NOT towards another peaceworkers weekend... or some boots... or a teal cordouroy jacket...

Bad Isabel. Be responsible. It's hardly fair for you to spend all your good fortune before your piggy bank even gets a whiff of it.

2 comments:

Janna said...

my piggy bank thought my new black boots were totally hot.

but really, you should buy a ticket to come see me.

Hojo Mantooth said...

the more you spend, the more you save. no. no. it makes perfect sense. save more.