You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver

Wednesday 14 November 2007

Walkin' on sunshine, whoa-oh!

I'm so excited by my school at the moment. Here's why:
  • I had my voice tutorial with Simon R last Saturday, and it was super great. He is super great. I was a little terrified going in, and sure enough he made me do the kinosphere exercise, but it was really ... well, great. Yay voice.
  • Our Company Development class is awesome and we get really interesting, exciting homework assignments. This week we've had to break ourselves into little "companies" and answer questions about who we are as a group, what kind of art we want to make, for whom, why, etc. My group consists of myself, Natali, Agnese, Persefoni, and Baerbel, and I am so inspired by them. Remember when I said I wasn't sure that there were people that shared my artistic vision? That's not entirely the case. I love articulating what we love and feel is important with these girls.
  • This week we get to do research into epic short stories to translate to stage. It was suggested that we try to find specific, human stories using a backdrop of major historical events. I immediately thought of Sophie Scholl and The White Rose which, though admittedly non-fiction, still fits the bill. I'll also be going to the library after work to check out some short story anthologies.
  • Yesterday was a day that just kept getting better. After a iffy-but-fun presentation and then literally falling asleep under Baerbel's massaging hands in Ilan's class, we had Thomas. He introduced us to solo storytelling, and the technique and adventure and fun of playing all the characters yourself. Our theme for solo improv in front of the class was: you're a ticket scalper at Jesus' crucifixion - what did you see? what happened while you were there? And then we essentially let our imaginations run wild. Mine culminated in a cat-fight between Mary Magdalene and Momma Mary, and I had sooooooo much fun.
  • AND! Thomas said if we want to, we can work on these little solo storytelling projects on our own time and perform them for the class and teachers on presentation days! I'm really going to try to work on mine, I think. Diogo has said he can help direct. I'm super excited.

After class, a bunch of us went out to the corner pub and just had a really lovely, laughy fun time. It was the first time I'd really properly been out with classmates since school started, and it was just lovely. I'm tired at work today and my eyes are itchy from my contacts, but I don't mind. I don't mind at all.

No comments: